Naming Your Business Vs. Branding

The names of my various business streams are something I'm pondering a lot about at the moment.  Had I started my business in it's current state, all at once I would have branded everything LeKeux. But when I started each business stream, I didn't yet know that LeKeux would be the part of the brand that is most associated with everything we do. I often find credit for styling by The Vintage Salon given to LeKeux Events - it's the web address after all, and my emails come from a LeKeux Events address. 

I think I've made the mistake of potentially confusing customers. Do they all know that The Vintage Salon or Sugabilly's is the LeKeux brand? I'm not sure. My solution is to transition 'LeKeux' into the salon brand, turning it into LeKeux's Vintage Salon, it's also started to appear on the Sugabilly logo. Every new venture (of which the next is due for launch in November) will be branded LeKeux in some way or another too. It's not ideal and is something I'm doing as a result of learning along the way. 


Some people may think that 'vintage' is something I should be transitioning into each each trading name, rather than LeKeux, but I would disagree. My experience tells me that the two following objectives are key when naming your business:


1. Choose a unique name - do your research and ensure no-one, even those in different industries operate under the same name, not only will this ensure you stand out but you'll avoid the risk of an existing company asking you to stop trading under their name at a later date. It's also not wise to attempt to trade off the back of other businesses' hard work, so equally don't choose a similar name in the hope of customers mistaking you for them. Copyright infringement is serious business and the people you're copying will have more resources and business experience than you should they choose to challenge you.



2. Don't pigeon-hole yourself - calling your business something very kitsch and descriptive may be fun now, but when you want to expand or diversify later you'll limit yourself. Naming your business directly after a current trend is short-term thinking. Trends change and your business may run the risk of being seen as dated or old hat. Focus more on associating a brand with a name that allows you to respond to demand and re-direct your business, should the need arise. I'm offering so many things under the LeKeux Events brand now, and the name doesn't prevent me from doing this.



Naming your business should be fun, so take the time to innovate and create a unique name. My best example is 'Sugabilly', I first penned this term after a shoot I put together in  2009. I put one of the models in a rockabilly dress with a pastel pink underskirt and I just thought 'Sugabilly!', she looked good enough to eat. At first I used the term to describe a particular bridal style (when I briefly attempted to be a vintage wedding planner....and failed!). I then used the name for rockabilly club nights I ran, these weren't a great success either (financially at least), then when I came to set up the pin up agency the name just fit perfectly. The girls we recruit are edgy with sweet personalities, it seemed to work.


Photo by Siren Photographic
My first 'Sugabilly' brand at a shoot in early 2010

 Photo by Siren Photographic
My 'Sugabilly' bridal styling

Graphic Design by www.diablorose.blogspot.com
My 'Sugabilly' nights branding


And finally...

Logo and Graphic Design by www.diablorose.blogspot.com


So what is the difference between the name of your business and the brand? Here's some examples:

Name: Virgin (clearly this is nothing to do with trains, planes and broadband etc).
The brand: Premium customer service, innovation.

Name: Boots (this is not a shoe store).
Brand: Beauty for everyone.

Neither of these business names describe what the company does, yet they are synonymous with their products and services. This is what branding is all about; cleverly associating your values and objectives with a name through advertising, networking and visual branding.

So my advice for start ups would be to choose a business name that allows flexibility later on. Make sure no-one else is using it, or anything very similar and don't rely on the name to ensure any form of success, naming your business is easy, building a brand that customers will part with their hard earned money is whole other ballgame.

And my last thought for you today...


Be the brand... 

For me styling myself vintage came first, the business grew from an interest. None the less when I enter into an environment where I may be meeting potential clientele, I will make a conscious decision to style myself to highlight my brand. This only works if you truly are the brand, don't underestimate those with an eye on you, faux efforts will be detected. For you, it may not involve such overt presentation, it may be more about how you conduct yourself, or how you make people feel. A Life Coach wouldn't turn up to an event flustered and late, that wouldn't represent their brand well, for example.

If you'd like me to write more on any of the topics I've touched on above, please let me know!

Ms Le Keux x

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lynsey. Love love love the blog!

    What an inspiration you are! I have always wanted my own business and set up a few along the way. Some worked, some didnt! Family life has certainly been an obstacle over the last 5 years but today my two boys have both gone to school and my little one at preschool so really hoping to start a fresh. How lovely to have woken up to your inspiring and helpful blog! Keep it coming :-) Would love to know more about getting funding if you have any tips to share :-) Michelle Hawes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Michelle. Your comment (my first!) has been equally inspirational to me, to think I could urge you on to fulfil that ambition has warmed my heart! Will have a think about funding and get something up soon.

    *Mutual love*

    Lynsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Lynsey, spot on advice.

    I'd say that LeKeux as a brand says 'vintage' without needing to say it! The name itself is very 'Hollywood Glamour' and lends itself to your business perfectly - I've always wanted to ask, is it your real name?!

    A point on copying other businesses' names (and services!) - apart from the legal implications, new businesses should be trying to make friends with those already established; just because you're in competition, doesn't mean you can't help each other out. Ripping them off will get you no-where and potential cause a rift and make an enemy of someone you really shouldn't be messing with...

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point Kate! Well said.

    And really great to hear from others that our brand is associated with 'vintage'. Le Keux is my real last name (but through marriage!)

    Lynsey x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes perfect sense!

    Question- Do you have a different bank account name for each arm (or leg) of the business? Or is there a general umbrella name? How do the different businesses work together financially?

    PS- I have only just discovered Le Keax as I went to a bloggers event in Manchester 2 weeks ago and one of your lip paints was in the goody bag. Was so happy to see you were a local Birmingham company, I felt a glow of pride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's always an argument between naming a business and branding. In legal term, a business name is the one that represents your firm. It is the one that the government agencies recognize. Brand name, on the other hand, is the one that represents your company's product or services.

    Regards,
    #Vernia Soriano

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...